Deer collisions cost U.S. drivers millions every year, with an average repair cost of more than $4,000 for each claim. Odds for a deer collision double from October through December, so talk to your customers about the difference between comprehensive and collision coverages and share the tips below to help them avoid a deer accident:
- Be more alert at dawn and dusk, when deer are most active
- If you feel the need to swerve, use caution and be aware of oncoming traffic and your surroundings
- Slow down – headlights only shine 200 to 250 feet in front of a vehicle, and a standard-sized vehicle typically takes 240 feet to come to a complete stop from 60 mph.
- When you see a deer cross the road, slow down and expect more to follow
- Watch for “deer crossing” signs and slow down when they are present
- Use high beams while driving at night if there is no other traffic around